Like most, I learn a lot more by doing things wrong before doing them right. Maybe, I can save someone some of my learning pain, I mean curve!

Monday, September 21, 2009

zfs de-duplication has broken my heart, or ...

more accurately, my lack of attention to detail has broken my heart.  As I stated in my post on the FreeNAS forum "zfs de-duplication - is it working?" - "I absolutely hate it when reality doesn't match my pre-conceived ideas!!"

I'll blame it on the zfs zealots, surely it wasn't me.  Surely these fire-brand wielding zfs prosolytes are to blame for connecting my wants, I mean needs, up to future features and not letting me see that the error of my ways, my desire for block level de-duplication, was/is nothing but vaporware -- at least for now :(

While headway is being made on de-duplication for zfs, it is somewhere between alpha and beta land on Solaris (or OpenSolaris, or !@#$Solaris land, ...)  Block level de-duplication is no where near being part of zfs version 6 currently implemented in FreeBSD 7.  It isn't event part of version 13 that will be available in the next major FreeBSD release.

I was torn with what to do.  I considered going to Microsoft Windows Home Server and getting at least file level de-duplcation or possibly cracking the piggy bank and going to Windows Server 2008.  But in the end, after doing some scribbling on the back of a napkin and figuring out that I would be money ahead to buy another drive, re-build my array, and be OK (defined as enough space without block level de-duplication) for another 12 - 18 months, I decided to stay with FreeNAS, for now, until something better comes along, until I get bored, err, I'm rambling again.

Stay tuned until next time, when I discuss the trials and travails of getting some CF to IDE adapters to work!

And since it is NCAA Football season here in the States -- GEAUX TIGERS!!!

Bye for now,

lbe

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

Houston, Texas, United States
Geek, sometimes its biting the head off of a chicken, sometimes its getting hit in the head while working on something :)

Followers