Like most, I learn a lot more by doing things wrong before doing them right. Maybe, I can save someone some of my learning pain, I mean curve!

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Motherboard Blues

My apology to Wilbert Harrison who wrote the blues classic Kansas City.  Hum along if you know the tune;)

I'm going to Insanity, Insanity here I come
I'm going to Insanity, Insanity here I come
They got a crazy way of serving there
And I'm gonna get me some.

I'll be standing in the corner
In the corner of FreeBSD and hardware support
I'm gonna be standing in the corner
In the corner of FreeBSD and hardware support
With my Insanity server
And a bottle of Insanity RAM.

Well I might take IDE
I might take SATA, but if I have USB
I'm gonna get there just the same
I'm going to Insanity , Insanity here I come
They got a crazy way of serving there
And I'm gonna get me some.

I'm gonna pack my files
Leave at the break of dawn
I'm gonna pack my files
Everydrive will be sleeping
Nobody will know where I've replicated
Cause if I stay in the zpool
I know I'm gonna scrub.
Gotta find a friendly mobo
And that's the reason why,
I'm going to Insanity
Insanity here I come
They got a crazy way of serving there
And I'm gonna get me some
Its amazing where my minds goes sometime.  This little ditty started with just the first line and before I knew it I had the whole song done.  If you like blues, or don't know what blues are, then check out Roy Clark's version of this great standard.  He adds the line Kansas City, I spent a week there one day.  I feel much like that with my current learnings: Insanity, I spent a week there one day.

Over the last couple of weeks since my last post, I have been tweaking and testing and overall have been unhappy with where I currently am with my server.  In short, I have reached the conclusion that 2 GB of RAM just isn't enough RAM for a zfs file server "if" you want a consistent level of "reasonable" performance (i.e. aggregate file transfer >= 30 MB/sec.  My current motherboard only supports 2 GB.  So, I am halting my testing with it and am turning my search to finding its replacement.

I have started a thread on Hard Forum, Need MB rec for Low Power, ZFS, FreeBSD, Home NAS, asking for help. 

I'll let you know what decision I make!!

lbe

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

Houston, Texas, United States
Geek, sometimes its biting the head off of a chicken, sometimes its getting hit in the head while working on something :)

Followers