Like most, I learn a lot more by doing things wrong before doing them right. Maybe, I can save someone some of my learning pain, I mean curve!

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

NAS - Hardware Assembled with Error, of course!

OK, I got all the pieces in and put them together. Voila, they all fit. Kind of. Sort of ....

The Chenbro case is a nice little case; however, I have not figured out how to remove the front cover. The online manual depicts a cover that is slightly different from my physical cover. However, regardless of the manual that says you need to remove the cover to install the motherboard and SD card reader, one does not. You need to release the cover and get it open enough to remove the blank in the slim optical device slot and remove the SD card reader holder, but that is it. There is plenty of play to do so. This gives full access to the mounting points for the mother board.

While installing the motherboard, I realized an oversight, yes an error, that I made. The MS-9832 motherboard contains only one internal USB header block. So it is not possible to plug in both the the up front USB ports as well as the the SD card reader. Furthermore, I am missing a cable to connect the card reader at all. So for now, I connected the two USB ports on the front of the chassis to the internal USB header and have put my SD card in a nifty SD to USB converter. I will use the SD for the OS.

The WD drives easily mounted in the hot swap trays and slid in wihtout a problem.

I am not installing a CD or DVD reader in this unit to keep the overall power consumption down. I have added a PATA CD/DVD reader/writer from LG sitting on top of the case with the cable going through the open side access. I will use this to load the operating system on the SD card and will then remove it and button it up for the long run.

All in all, the hardware came up fine!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

Houston, Texas, United States
Geek, sometimes its biting the head off of a chicken, sometimes its getting hit in the head while working on something :)

Followers